My attempt to create a story that goes along with my family tree.

Monday, April 3, 2017

Ancestry DNA

I took the Ancestry DNA test and sent in just after Christmas 2016. I finally got the results yesterday. Here is where my DNA shows me to be from:




I am apparently very British. Here is the map that goes with the results:

This makes sense, as my paternal grandma was Welsh. I don't know of any connection to the Iberian Peninsula, but I also don't really know what time period that  I would be seeing results from. Maybe my connection to that region is via an immigration I am not aware of. There are a lot of maternal branches of my tree that I have not fully researched, as women in history can be harder to track as a result of their name changing when they marry. I am surprised that I don't really have a definite French or German connection, but I do have something else interesting.


Through DNA testing, they were able to determine that I have a background in colonial Canada. My genealogical research shows that I have French settlers along the St. Lawrence on both my maternal and paternal sides. Maybe that is why I don't show a dominant link to France.

I did upload my raw DNA results to a site that determines any health concerns, and I am still learning how to understand those results. It is very interesting reading.

I am also working on how to connect with the people that have been DNA linked with me on Ancestry. Should I just go down the list and connect everyone and see what happens? We'll see.

EDIT: 4/9/2017
I have been reading about the best ways to contact DNA genealogy matches and came across gedmatch.com

I am also reading through the blogs at http://www.dnaexplain.com and learning more about what I can find out from my DNA test. I plan on adding more DNA links here as I find more useful information.

about gedmatch: http://moodle.dnagedcom.com/MoodleClass/DNAadoption/UsingGEDMATCHRevised3-2014.pdf

3 comments:

  1. Hi Katie I don't know how regularly you look at your blog comments but I'm posting anyhow. I was looking on ancestry website at our family tree that my mum created a few years back. I looked at it again yesterday for the 1st time in yrs and saw that you had added one of our ancestors to your tree- a Seymour. I also noticed that in your blog you said you have an welsh grandma. I'm welsh and I think we're related through the white side of my family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Iberian part of your DNA has very much to do with the British roots. check this out: the Celts were descendants of the Iberian fishermen. https://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/this-britain/celts-descended-from-spanish-fishermen-study-finds-416727.html

    ReplyDelete