My attempt to create a story that goes along with my family tree.

Monday, April 7, 2014

Sister Celina Meinz

Catherine Meinz, daughter of Peter Meinz and Theresa Pohl, was a Catholic Nun.  The following is a transcript of an interview with her.  I don't know who the interviewer was.

______________
January 26, 1965

Q: How old are you sister?

A: I am 65.

Q: Tell me about your family, Sister.

A: My father was born in Trier, Germany. A lot of people from there came to this part of the country, I don't know why. He was a farmer. When he came to America, he took a homestead right out out here, one mile this side of Rockville, but he belonged to Jacobs Prairie Church. St. Joseph had no church at that time.

    My mother came from Shlesian, Germany. She married my father at Jacobs Prairie. My father was with the first setters when the grasshopper plague was rampant. And the Indians visited them, from time to time. There were twelve children; I had ten brothers before I had a sister.  Father Pius, my brother, used to say, "There were ten boys in the family, and each one had two sisters."

    Children were Joe, who died young. John was a blacksmith at Rockville. Henry was on the farm with my father. Frank clerked at different stores (he was my mother's girl until I was 10).  Then he worked at Waldorf Piper. Mr. Waldorf was our first cousin. Mike was a teacher near Cold Spring. Then he got in at Wenners as a bookkeeper, about 40 years or so at Cold Spring. Then William who became Father Pius at St. John's Abbey. He finished school at Jacob's Prairie, like a parochial school, then he went to St. Johns. One year he stayed home, during which he knit stockings for the family. At St. John's he went on studying for the priesthood. Peter worked at Waite Park as a tinner for the train people. I came next, baptized Catherine, baptized at Jacob's Prairie. Then George who became a banker at St. Cloud; first at Zappa, then at First National. By that time the family moved to St. Cloud. Peter came next he worked in the shops as a tinner quite a while.  Then Al, who worked at Nash Finch. He started first at a little store in Rockville, then moved to St. Cloud, working in the car shops I think.Josephine was the last one. She married in St. Cloud, John Hollenhorst. He worked in the store, at Fandel's.

Q: How did you get the idea of becoming a Benedictine (Nun)?

A: I was 18 when I thought of becoming a Benedictine. We had a cupboard and one shelf we had reserved for religious books, prayer books. I was a big reader. I found my father's prayer book in front of me, open. On the first page, I read, Die Stimme Jesus (The voice of Jesus). That was all on the page. On the next page, Die Seele (The soul). That looked interesting to me. I like it so well. I looked again. It read, "Never say a cross word. That is not becoming to a mouth that receives Me and is created for my praise." Then I read the book. I know it about by heart. I kept the book, and I still use it in my room. I was working in church on time in Jacob's Prairie, one of the boys was driving along, and they told me they were going to have a spree tonight, and I am coming down to get you. I prayed to the Sacred Heart. someone whispered, "Go to the convent." I was 18. That was my peak experience. You are the first one I told this to.

    The Sisters from St. Benedict came from St. Joseph to collect wheat or anything the farmers could give for the orphanage. Mr. Schmitz, S. Agneila's father took them around. People gave them wheat and money, but I didn't get acquainted with them. They didn't come down from the wagon. I made up my mind to go to St, Benedict's. We used to do the church work on Saturday. The girl that was with me talked to Father, and he advised me to go t the convent. "You have a vocation," he said.

Q: Tell me about St. Benedict when you came.

A: I worked around in the academy. Then to the novitiate. One day after the novitiate I took an examination. And then to school. First I went to Chanhassen, teaching lower grades and taking care of the church. I was night watch for about twelve years at the mother house. It was quiet those days, not so many cars.

Q: How do you like the new liturgy?

A: I can't read much, so I don't know much about it. My eyes gave out. I advise the girls who join to stick to it, and to not give up right away. I was never tempted to leave.
______________

Sister Celina Meinz died October 5, 1967

No comments:

Post a Comment