My attempt to create a story that goes along with my family tree.

Wednesday, March 5, 2014

The Name of Canada

I was wondering where the name for Canada came from.  Everything I have seen so far calls the area "New France"



I learned the following from Wikipedia and from Wikitree.

Canada was a word of the First Nations people (the Iroquois), kanata, for village.  The French pronounced it "kanada."

From 1534-1763 the area was a French colony called "New France."
In 1763 France ceded part of the colony to Great Britain, which became "The Provence of Quebec."
In 1791, the area currently called Ontario was named "Upper Canada."
In 1841 this area was renamed "Canada West."
In 1867 Ontario and Quebec were united as "the Provence of Canada."

Don't say I never taught you anything.


1 comment:

  1. Thank you Katie ..you have taught me very cool stuff!!

    ReplyDelete